Sunday, January 4, 2015

Anything But A Card - New Beginnings Challenge #43


Welcome to the New Beginnings Challenge at

The prompt "New Beginnings" can be interpreted many ways.

My interpretation:
finding new life in what would otherwise be considered trash. 
This particular project reuses a few pieces of "trash";
read on to see what and how I reused them. 







I started off with empty cookie tins that I have had in my stash the past year.
They were too nice to throw away and with no recycling services where
we live, I decided to keep them in hopes of finding a new use for them.
I did reuse some as utensil holders earlier this year.




I  used double stick tape to attach card stock around the can.
It was faster and easier than trying to paint them,
but you certainly could sand and repaint them.






I sketched out the shapes onto scrap paper, 
trimming them to fit.
Once I was happy with the shapes and sizes, 
I traced them onto card stock and cut them out.

The nose and eyes are paper punches.
The eyebrows are also made from a punch, 
but slightly altered (Word Window from Stampin' Up!).

I inked the cheeks and nose with a sponge and ink pad.

White Signo gel pen for eye highlights.


You can run the beard and moustache pieces through the 
Cuttlebug Divine swirls folder after cutting them out or
as I did, run a piece through before cutting them out.
I traced the shapes onto the  card stock first.
If you do this, be sure to run the card stock through
so that the pencil lines are on the back / debossed side
of the card stock.





I used a pop dot / dimensional
under the nose.
The mustache piece is slightly bent
for extra character.








Notice the extra texture on the beard and moustache ?
This was achieved by using an old dryer sheet.
I adhered it to white card stock before running it through
the Cuttlebug embossing folder. 



Completed Santa treat cans,
minus a pom pom on the hat.
The hat was made from a red fleece blanket
and a scrap of white felt.

Inspired by Santa face cards I made years ago-
and still make !









Completed Snowman cans

Inspired by snowman cards I've made years ago.

I used a rubber stamp from a flower making set
to make the nose. 
It was stamped in a lighter orange then
the lower edge was stamped onto a darker orange
before stamping onto white card stock and cut out with scissors.

Circle paper punches for the eyes and mouth.

White Signo gel pen for the eye highlights. 

Scrap of old fleece blanket cut to make the scarf.








How to make the hat:


Trace, cut, score, 
bend and tape
card stock to form a hat,
using a heavy duty double stick tape to hold in place.









Trace circles and cut with scissors or 
if you have dies that are the right sizes,
cut out circles to make the bat brim.
I used some craft foam leftover from 
craft projects from my kids years ago. 
Carefully hot glue the underside near the
bottom edge of the hat.




Lightweight packaging chipboard was die cut
with snowflake dies then coated with glitter. 

Two step bird punch from Stampin' Up!
with paint/ink details
and Martha Stewart fern punch.

Red and white striped ribbon, unknown.
I remember that I ordered it
(along with several other rolls of ribbon)
from an online retailer many years ago -
and have maybe used it one time !






Thanks for looking !
Take a peek at the Anything But A Card blog for much more inspiration every Sunday from the creative team as well as projects shared through inlinks by blog readers.

7 comments:

  1. Super, super cute - love these. I have some coffee tins that would be perfect for this transformation. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather your recycled cans are delightful. I can just imagine them on your counter filled with treats and with those happy faces - all year round. I'm sure now you can see potential gifts in every can that comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute.Love the santa tins.Thanks for sharing how to make the hat.Your project turned out adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tin makeovers are fabulous! Great details on them! Thanks for all the instructions, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super great idea!!!! I love the idea of repurposing something and definitely know about hating to throw away something that could be most definitely used for something else!!!!!
    Such a pleasure being on the same DT and sharing creativity!!!
    Much love, hugs, and friendship
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such fun - and great tips in your tutorial too, thanks. Fab ABAC inspiration.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)