Saturday, January 24, 2015

OWH sketch Challenge 247 - Just "Chicken" In


This fun card was made for the new sketch challenge
I'm pleased with the way it turned out,
I've never made a paper punch chicken before
(search online for lots of different ideas ).
I think I'll make a few more !
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When I first saw this sketch, I thought I wouldn't do anything with it,
it was "busier" than what I normally do. Plus, I tend to make
more masculine type cards (love my old classic car stamp images!)
and I didn't think it would well work with them.
Then, bam, an idea hit me out of nowhere -
a paper punch chicken
Just Checking In on the recipient !
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
I thought googlie eyes would be a fun touch,
but the eyes I have weren't quite the right size.
I just used two small paper punched circles highlighted with
a white gel pen.
The chickens "comb" was created by the tops of 1 1/2 hearts.
The beak is the bottom half of a heart,
the "wattle" is the top half of another small heart.
The wings are a scallop circle cut in half.
 
 
 
 

 
I glued only the ends of the wings to the body
and left the wing tips "floating" above for more dimension.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
Here are the paper punches I used to make her.
I lightly sponged smokey slate ink around the edges
of the punched pieces. A white Signo gel pen
 was used for a couple of highlights.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The sentiment is computer generated (Scrap Casual font) then die cut with
the Word Bubbles die set from Stampin' Up!
TIP: The word bubble die was not facing the correct way
(I didn't think of this ahead of time, in fact I've not ever used this die!)
so I held it up to a sunny window on the backside to line it up
and cut it out "backwards" . The cutting edge is on the back side
 of the card stock with the printed image facing down on the cutting plate,
so when it is cut out and flipped over, it is facing the correct way for
use with my chicken.
 
 
 
Thanks for looking =)
Be sure to stop by the sketch challenge link up
to see more inspiring ideas -
and make a card or two for our heroes !

7 comments:

  1. So stinking cute! Such clever techniques, thanks for showing photos, lots of extra time to us, appreciate the effort. So smart to turn the bubble die backwards, live it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ca-ute! Well done and love the puny sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found this one to make. It is precious. Thanks for the tutorial on how to make it. You also had a great idea for the sentiment. Have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    What a fun card! Love the details that you put into this little chick. It will bring a huge smile to its recipient's face. :)

    Thanks so much for playing along with our OWH sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I love the 'chicken wire' background!!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)