Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Top 14 Cards Created for OWH in 2014

The end of another year, wow. Mom and Dad were right: the older you get, the faster time flies !

Here are my favorite 14 cards of those that I made to donate to Operation Write Home the past year.
They do not include any glitter to keep our heroes safe and I try to make them as flat as possible (difficult at times!) to survive the mail system. What a task to choose just 14 of all that I made (some of which I never even shared on the blog) last year. You can see more by clicking on the Operation Write Home Cards label on my sidebar.

I'll share my favorite cards sent to family and friends (not OWH friendly since they were extra bulky) tomorrow.







My top 14 cards , posted chronologically:





January 20        Chain of Hearts pop up card, tutorial included.
I always include extra paper in each card I make for
Operation Write Home.
It is more important to include extra paper for "interactive"
type cards that don't have much space for writing to begin with.
















February 1     Playing in the mud guy cards created for a challenge to use browns on masculine cards . Click to see a fun motorcycle card, too !
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/02/operation-write-home-card-bowl-2014.html










February 23    Created for a sketch challenge at OWH.
This was the first time I tried to create a word art image
to save as a PNG/digital stamp to use another time.
I also used a scrap of fleece die cut for the heart. Tutorial.

















February 25    Created for the wood grain technique challenge as well as to help fill
 a call for cowboy cards. Several tips on this post,
such as how I make faux rusty tin star embellishments.























March 9    A set of bright cards for a sketch challenge - and a tip for making "faux" layers.
These particular cards are also a favorite from the past year as they were chosen to be used
as the inspiration for a Midweek Throwdown challenge at OWH a bit later in the year:
make a feminine and a masculine version of the same card.


















March 23   Any Hero card created for a sketch challenge. Several tips shared on this post.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/03/owh-sketch-challenge-217.html














March 26    Purple and yellow challenge - I attempted to use those colors on a masculine card
thinking that there were sure to be many floral type cards submitted! I do try to concentrate on masculine cards more than feminine cards since they seem to be in short supply (as you can see since many of my favorites from this year are guy cards!).
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/03/purple-and-yellow-challenge-flamed.html


















March 31    Faux Sepia tone photo masculine card for a sketch challenge.  One of my all time favorite techniques to do with my car image stamp sets. Tutorial.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/03/faux-antique-auto-photo-owh-sketch.html















April 3   Card created "fore" the Father's Day Challenge. I really like the layout on this one.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/04/fore-fathers-day-card.html













May 14th    Created for the Missing You challenge at
Operation Write Home. Fairly simple cards -
other than it was a bit tricky lining up the two step alphabet stamps ;)
Now I understand why clear stamps are preferred by many stampers 
(these are red rubber).















May 24th     Suspended star flip card and tutorial. This card reminded me of Captain America (images of Chris Evans as Captain America popping into your heads, now ? You are welcome !) and was created for the Memorial Day blog hop at OWH.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/05/suspended-star-flip-card-tutorial.html






















June 3   Sketch challenge card. I love the detailed die used on this fairly simple card.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/06/sketch-challenge-card.html


















October 7th     Created for the ODBD challenge at OWH:
use snowflakes on a card, but not a Christmas card.
Check out the fun sketch for the peekaboo window placement that I used, too.






















November 4      Suspended heart embossed/letter pressed card for the ODBD challenge at OWH.  Despite how complicated this looks, it isn't too difficult to make and actually is much quicker than water coloring images for many of the cards I make.  Tutorial.
http://craftysahmiam.blogspot.com/2014/11/suspended-heart-love-card-owh-odbd.html







Be sure to head back to the inlinkz page at Operation Write Home to see many more bloggers sharing their Top 14 of 2014 !

Thanks for looking and Happy, Healthy, Crafty New Year to You !


















































17 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards Heather! I love all your masculine car cards since my hubby is a car nut too! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every single card- love your his and hers- I remember them! Your chain of hearts.....perfection! Anyone would be thrilled to receive any of your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with your masculine cards!!! Gives me lots of inspiration to make birthday cards for my six sons and six grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I esp love your mud truck, heart race and cowboy cards. I also seem to focus on more masculine or gender neutral cards. Keep up the great work in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super selection...I really like these a lot. I love the hanging heart card...something I have put on the back burner, I may give it a try this year. Thanks for sharing your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The woodgrain cowboy card was my favorite! Great variety of masculine cards with amazing techniques! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute collection of cards. I love all the fun techniques you used to add dimension and all the masculine themed ones. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Heather! It has been seeing your beautiful cards! I especially love your rugged cowboy card and the golf bag cards--awesome. I look forward to seeing lots more of your cards in 2015!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great collection, Heather! My favorite is the "You Make My Heart Race" card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, Heather! What a wonderful collection of cards! Love that you made so many masculine and gender-neutral cards for our troops to send home. Have a wonderfully crafty 2015. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed seeing so many masculine cards to be inspired by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cards! The first one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great variety of styles! I hope one day I can do masculine as easily as you do! I really love the March 23rd AnyHero card, CAS and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great group of cards! So many masculine, I love it! Thanks for the great tip on the faux layers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your selection of masculine cards! I think my fav would have to be the Any Hero card from March 23rd. I too, do the faux layers when it looks like it could become too bulky. It is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic cards and such a wonderful cause! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you and your family a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)