Sunday, March 1, 2015

Green With Envy at AnythingButACard




Welcome to this months challenge at
Green With Envy.

My project is a hand cut mat that I painted
a Patina finish on to frame an Irish Blessing
that I created on my computer.
There is a paper punch four leaf clover at the top
for a fun dimensional touch.

My Green With Envy project is also a sort of
Go Green project by repurposing old items, too:
matboard , frame and card stock scraps.










First, I found an old piece of matboard
that wasn't really nice enough to be used
as a mat alone. By covering it with layers of paint,
it hid the flaws so it could be useful once  more.






Cutting the rectangle part of the mat with my Alto's mat cutter.
It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.




This was the first time I've added an arch cut
to a mat. It was actually pretty easy and I
surprised myself by having it work successfully the first time !
No wasted matboard from a poor cut, yippee!








The patina finish was created with this really old,
never used, paint set I picked up at a yard sale.
The paints were still good surprisingly!


It's super easy to do:
Basecoat your project with a black green.
Lightly sponge on a minty green.
Lastly add some touches of gold.
I used a sea sponge to apply my paints.









This is after the first two coats of green, before the gold.
The matboard did warp from the moisture in the paint,
but flattened out nicely once dry.
It looks just fine in the frame.








I used a small paintbrush to paint the bevel edge gold.









Punch three or four hearts from green card stock.
Lightly score down the centers.
This score line will help in folding the leaves
up slightly for some dimension.
Cut a stem by hand.





Sponge a darker green ink around the edges of the hearts
before assembling your clover.








I ran a thin line of glue down the fold of each leaf
to attach them to the printed piece.




Lastly, here is the PNG word art file I made if you'd like to use it in your projects:









Thanks for looking =)
Be sure to visit the
to see more inspiring ideas every Sunday -
and link up your Green With Envy project, too !





3 comments:

  1. Great project and so beautifully done. Love it that you also recycled to complete the green theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful sentiment to place in your home... Love your tutorial and the way you altered the frame. Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mat you made and how you colored it. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)