Tuesday, April 28, 2015

20th Birthday Card for a Young Man





Card I made for my sons 20th birthday.....
sniffle................


20 is die cut with dies from Stampin' Up!
I cut a set from chipboard that I painted red then
I cut another set from textured red card stock I glued to
the tops of the chipboard pieces. 

The background is embossed with a folder from Cuttlebug

Real stitching on the silver metallic card stock strips.
(I should have stopped with just two stripes, top to bottom,
to resemble racing stripes on a car, but I was trying to make
the flowery elements on the embossed background less noticable).
Because I used real stitching on this card,
I am linking it to the Mid Month Throwdown at
Operation Write Home : stitching.

Computer generated sentiments, how to's below. 









I used My Memories Suite V5.
See my sidebar for a valuable offer
to purchase the newest version of this versatile software.
I do have V6, but it is on my laptop.
I used my desktop that has V5 on it so
I would be able to print it out.
NOTE: I import my files into Adobe Photoshop Elements
in order to print them out. I've never had luck printing directly
from the MMS software, everything is gets centered on the page
when I intend for them to be off center. 
Glitch with my computer/printer I suppose.









Open the software.
You will need to insert your
custom size measurements in INCHES
at the bottom to create a card in MMS V5.
 5.25 Width   4 Height    Inches   Landscape
(normally 5.5" x 4.25", but I chose to use a slightly
smaller canvas to work on knowing the card front would
be cut smaller to mat on a different color.














The canvas will open up with a transparent background.

Click SHAPES
ADD
choose your shape, I used a circle
ADD
Change the color to WHITE
Add a DROP SHADOW, centered with 100% Opacity
Adjust the size by pulling the little gray squares
around your shape or if you want a specific size like I did,
double click the shape and a box will op up for you to input the dimensions.
Be sure you have the INCHES box checked.
Here is a composite of a few screen shots to show you:


I made my circle 2.25" so I could cut it out with a
Nestabilities die I have that it would fit perfectly in.




A photo of the die over the printed piece
so you can see how it fits (the print is just inside the
inner circle so you can easily see it to line it up
with the die).



















Once you have your shape the size you want,
click TEXT and type what you wish to say.
You will need to play around with this a bit 
to make it even around your shape once you 
attach the text to the shape. Different fonts and sizes
plus lengths of words will require different 
degrees of playing around to fit to your liking.

You click your shape and the text box so they are
both "highlighted", then choose Wrap Text.
This will only work on circles and squares.
Try both the inside and the outside option to see which 
you like best. You may need to adjust the
                                        "wrapped text" a bit to fit the shape the way you like.
This is easy to do by grabbing the little gray boxes around
the text box. 






You can delete the Shape after you have the text the way you like.
The shape was used as a base to create on to get 
the correct size for your project.
I delete the background to save only the text
as a PNG file to be used on other projects.
You don't want a white background or 
to save as a JPG if you want the ability to 
resize the text and insert it onto a colored background.
Here is a diagram that shows the difference.
This is an 8" x 8" pink background.













Here are the PNG files I created for this project if you'd like to use them:










Thanks for looking =) 

TIP: IF you are a user of My Digital Studio
by Stampin' Up! and have not heard about the
company no longer selling/supporting the software, 
I suggest you visit mydigitalstudio.net and
be sure to back up all of your downloads before May 31st !
YES, they can be used in My Memories Suite !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)