Saturday, May 2, 2015

Shadowbox Frame Photo Display

It's National Scrapbook Day ! 








This months challenge at Anything But A Card is
"The Masters".
The thing that came to my mind right away
was to do something with old photos
 I took while in the mountains years ago.
A sort of "Ansel Adams" inspired project.
Perhaps photography wasn't the exact thing in mind
when the prompt was decided upon by the challenge coordinators, 
but I certainly think that there are Master Photographers.
Those that are religious might say that the gorgeous scenery all around us
 in our world was masterfully created by their God.
Thus, my project inspired by Masters -
and an inspirational project for National Scrapbook Day !











This is what the shadowbox frame looked like to begin with.
It is actually a bulletin board,
there were glittery black star push pins included. 
I bought two of these on clearance years ago
with the best of intentions to make them into
interchangeable scrapbook page frames to showcase
photos of my teens and their accomplishments, etc.











.
A couple of closeups to show the dimension I created.

"floating photos"




I typed up and printed out a small tag,
attaching it with dimensionals
so that it looks as if it is floating.






  How to's:


I scanned the old color photos then converted them to black and white.
They aren't the best photos, having been taken with an old point and shoot film camera
seventeen years ago. 

Using Photoshop Elements, I placed all three images onto one 8x10 sheet to be printed.
I just happened to have a free print offer from Walgreen's  !

I had to reduce the panorama shot in quite a bit to make it fit in the shadowbox frame I was using,
 so it fit well on the 8 x 10 sheet.

I trimmed the photos then mounted two of them onto light weight chipboard to make them sturdy.

They are mounted to the "page" with various depths of cardboard and 
heavy duty double stick adhesive. 
The panorama is attached directly to the "page".



I knew I wanted to make some mini aspen trees to go with the photos
 (despite there not being any in the photos I used on the project,
we did lots of them in the area though !).




I had some smooth twigs already cut leftover from another project. 

I painted them to resemble aspens with craft acrylic paints:
base coat white, grey for lines and black for the splotches.
An old toothbrush was perfect to splatter the tiny 
dots, a very fine paintbrush was used to create the bigger spots
and the lines around the trunks.



They are hot glued to a piece of chipboard that was covered in 
crumpled brown paper, topped with moss.




The finished 3D embellishment
for my shadowbox frame.




Thanks for looking =) 

Be sure to visit the Anything But A Card blog
each weekend for more projects by the design team
as well as inlinks to players in the challenge.
Won't you play along, too ?

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, I love the added dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing use of your 17 year old photographs. I too am a huge Ansel Adams fan and have print or two of his in my home. Plus I have some amazing images from about 30 years ago I took in Yosemite National Park. This might be a project in the future for me! So inspired!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)