Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Barnwood Howdy Card









Created for the TEXTURE challenge at 


This was a fun experiment:
I tried to use liquid crackle medium
from my craft paint supplies on my card stock ! 
It didn't work very well
(absorbed into the paper too much),
not like it does on wood.
Overall I'm still pleased.

Before doing anything else,
I scored a couple of lines into the
card stock then ran a Sharpie over them
to replicate the cracks between barn wood planks.
Crackle medium was brushed on it and allowed to dry.
It absorbed into the card stock, though.
I then coated it with white acrylic craft paint.
Because there wasn't enough crackle medium on the
surface of the card stock, it didn't crackle like it should have.
I just kept brushing, more or less dry brushing,
paint over it to make it look weathered.
The card stock did warp from the moisture.

The "rusty barn star" was created by painting sand paper
 with acrylic craft paints to
resemble rusty metal then over stamping
with a rubber stamp that was "inked" 
with black acrylic craft paint. 
Trimmed with scissors and lightly bent
each point to create a bit of dimension.
I added a mini brad to the center and attached
on top of some hardware store twine loops with hot glue.

The Howdy "weathered metal" tag was made by lightly
tapping Versamark ink onto black card stock
then sprinkling on copper embossing powder
and heating it. Always fun to watch that melt !

I stamped Howdy with black paint on top 
of the cooled copper piece.

The "corrugated galvanized metal" backing piece
started as a scrap of corrugated cardboard
from a light bulb box. 
I base coat painted it light gray
then went back over it with metallic silver paint.




Here is another "weathered wood" card you might like,
the first one I ever made using sandpaper
for a rusty metal star embellishment.
It is a patriotic type card
that uses stamps and ink rather than paint.


Thanks for looking =) 

6 comments:

  1. I think the crackle medium looks really good, it has a sort of sun-bleached texture. A super card with lots of lovely texture. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I love the weathered metal effect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your card, some really great techniques used and lots of texture

    Thanks for joining us at Cardz4guyz this week

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed with your different techniques to create different textures. Your star is amazing. Thanks for sharing the card and your techniques with us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card, love how you have done the texture

    Thanks for playing at Cardz 4 Guyz this week x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is a great card! I love when experiments work

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)