Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Faux B&W Photo Thunderbird





Seeing the new sketch challenge at 
and a request by a fellow
House of Cards DT member
to help fill the entries at the 
I knew I had to make one of my
faux black and white photo
rubber stamped cards. 




This stamp set is one of my all time favorites,
having been used far more than any of my others.
Making "faux black and white photos" with it
has been one of my favorite stamping techniques. 











Stamp your image onto glossy white card stock
with a permanent black ink (or brown if you'd like to 
make a sepia colored photo, see my sample here). 

Use a white crayon to color in areas of your image
you'd like to remain white.

Removable sticky notes work well to mask of the edges
of the "photo" before you start inking. 

Mask other areas if necessary, such as teh sky or ground.

Sponge various shades of gray ink over the image
(or use browns if you want a sepia image).

Gently wipe the finished image with a tissue to remove ink
and crayon. It's always fun to see the results !

Remove sticky notes.
You can leave it as is or have fun distressing it
to make it look like a well loved old photo 





Stamp images long ago retired from Stampin' Up!:
Classic Convertibles (Thunderbird)
Antique Autos (Route 66 sign)
Highways and Byways (background stamp)

Give my technique a try and share a link to your results in the comments below.


Thanks for looking =)

8 comments:

  1. How cool is that card?!?! I love the colors, great design too! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that look! I have lots to catch up on on your blog! I've been missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this is just so amazing! I love the way you created the car! Thanks for sharing with Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, What a fabulous card and wonderful interpretation of our OWH sketch! Love that faux black and white technique. Thanks so much for playing along with our sketch challenge and your support of Operation Write Home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooow this is adorable Manly Card
    I love to make manly card and your car image and how you colored it I love it much
    Heather you made the most lovely Manly card I have seen today
    LOVE THIS ONE
    thanks for joining us this time with Sunday Stamps
    hugs, Monika (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent tutorial for the B & W photo effect! Will have to give that a try on my next male card. Thanks so much for sharing and playing along at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool looking card!!! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card!

    Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)