Wednesday, July 1, 2015

House Of Cards - July Challenge





"You stole a "pizza" my heart"





It's the first of the month and
time for a new challenge at House Of Cards.
 I am so excited and honored (and nervous!)
to have been chosen 
as one of the newest Design Team members ! 


For this months challenge, find your inspiration in the below photo,
using food images or the colors (or both!), on your card.




The challenge runs all month long, 
closing at 11:55 CST ,  July 31st =
plenty of time to create a card to share !
Be sure to read the House Rules first :)








 I decided to do a different take and not use the 
gorgeous color palette or fruity/food stamp images,
making a fun pizza slice shaped card instead.
I actually made an entire pizza of cards !
 I'll be donating them to Operation Write Home.
Finished card size is approximately 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".






So much fun creating the details on the pizza toppings!
Tutorial at bottom of post.






Thanks for stopping by to see my project !
Be sure to visit all of the other
amazing House of Cards designers' blogs 
to see what they've cooked up this month ;) 



Heather














 PIZZA CARD TUTORIAL



Freehand cut the "crust edges".
Sponge inks lightly on each piece to
make it resemble a baked pizza crust edge.
I cut one large circle from a 12X12 piece of card stock.
Each piece needed to be trimmed to fit the card bases.





The card itself started as a 4" x 10" 
piece of card stock. I folded it in half then 
marked the center along the 4" side that opens.
I used a paper cutter to trim from each corner
of the folded edge
at an angle down to the center mark,
making a triangular shaped card.





Lightly sponge inks on top of the baked "cheese"
(top of triangular shaped card base).
I used acrylic craft paints to create the "sauce".
Adhere the crust to the folded end of the pizza slice.

When adhered to the folded edge,
the "crust" will hang over the edge. 
Trim as needed.








It's easy to make sliced "black olives":
punch a 1/4" circle in black card stock then 
line up a slightly larger circle punch over it.






The "green peppers" were freehand cut from
Gumball Green card stock that I added a bit of 
Garden Green along one edge of . You could use
nesting dies if you have some that are close in size
and of a shape that may resemble a green pepper slice.




"Pepperoni" was cut from red card stock with a circle punch.
I used the splatter stamp from Itty Bitty Backgrounds
and Basic Gray, Bravo Burgundy, Whisper White inks.
The edges were sponged with Early Espresso.
I shaped each piece by hand to give them the curl
like pepperoni on a baked pizza gets sometimes. 




The "ground beef/sausage" was free hand cut from
kraft card stock then water colored with Soft Suede ink.
I then crinkled them up to create texture.


There are other toppings you could make from card stock, too:
mushrooms, purple onions, etc

Have fun baking up your own pizza card !

20 comments:

  1. Wow Heather! Knocked this challenge out of the park! Love the pizza idea! So cute! Thanks for the tutorial to show how you did it! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, what an adorable card! Whimsical and fun! Welcome to the House of Cards!
    Take care!
    Michele, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that is wonderful and such a fabulous take on the challenge - I just love that you made a pizza card! Looking forward to working with you and seeing more of your projects Karen (new HOC DT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny
    (✿*‿*) Ma
    Teamie HOC

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, good cause, and is so fabulous looking! Welcome to the HOC team! Donna T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Pizza" my heart--love it! Very clever and fun way to showcase the challenge. Welcome to the team!

    Toni
    HOC DT Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, this is SO FUN! I LOVE this idea--perfect for a pizza lover (read: boys!) and OH so wonderfully made! I'd love for you to share this tutorial at House of Cards! Lilian will be posting more info on the DT blog tomorrow if you're interested! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a fabulous idea!! I absolutely LOVE this! It's a fantastic "think outside of the box" type of card, and I know everyone who receives a "slice" will love it too. Such a great debut card!

    So glad to be working with you on the HOC DT!
    Steph
    HOC Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so fun and cool! Who wouldn't love to get a pizza in the mail?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun and original! So refreshing to see all the different takes on the challenge... Love your idea. Thanks for sharing the tutorial too! Hugs, Gracie / HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun card Heather, I love all of the toppings! Welcome to the team!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so clever! I LOVE it! Welcome to the team...you'll do great. Just remember to have fun. We're a very laid back group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First I want to tell Welcome to the team Heather
    many thanks for your lovely words to my card
    nice to know you on the same team
    and if you want to know
    you are soooo creative at the first DEBUT on the HOC
    this is coolll and I want to make it too and now I want to eat Pizza because of your post (LOL)
    thanks for the tutorial and I adore your idea
    hugs,
    Monika HOC Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Heather! This is adorable and making me hungry for pizza! Great debut! Glad to be a newbie with you! Thank you for your comments on my blog!! Jane HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a clever and cute card, Heather. I love the saying with it. So glad you joined the team. Hugs, Barbara HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Firstly, welcome from another newbie! Secondly, these are so clever! And yep, I now want pizza! Maybe that's what's for dinner tonight. It's more than likely now. Grin.

    Hugs,
    Em
    HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is too funny-love it and thanks for the "how to".

    ReplyDelete
  18. How clever! What a great idea, Jo x (HOC Newbie)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! The sentiment is awesome too! :) Hugs! Katy-HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so creative! Love it!
    Welcome to the team!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)