Saturday, August 1, 2015

House Of Cards - Metallics Challenge




Hello!  
The start of a new month (already ?!?) means that
it's time for a new monthly challenge at House of Cards :
 create a card using the word cue "metallics".









I immediately knew that I was going to make a card 
featuring an automobile and chrome :)

The stamp image is from one of my all time favorite 
and most used stamp sets,
Classic Convertibles by Stampin' Up!
(no longer available)

It was stamped with permanent black ink on
watercolor paper then colored with ink from my
dye ink pads and an aquapainter. 




Silver Metallic Signo gel pen for chrome accents
and Crystal Effects for the glass.







Home made screw head faux brads 
(tutorial at end of post)
adhered to the Real Red textured card stock.







Mirror like silver card stock (manufacturer unknown)
that was dry embossed
with a Diamond Plate embossing folder
(by Darice, bought through JoAnn.com).









craftysahmiam.blogspot.com

Craft bottle cap that I smashed by running it through my Big Shot.
The "sandwich" to smash a bottle cap:
cutting pad - top
bottle cap
cutting pad
platform with no tabs - bottom

The sentiment was heat embossed
with silver embossing powder on black card stock.
Bottle cap and stamp image were from Stampin' Up!



Be sure to visit the other Design Team members blogs
for more fabulous metallic inspiration!


We hope you join in the fun, too--please check out the
House Rules HERE before linking up before August 31st.
We can't wait to see all of the fun interpretations of metallics on your cards !



I'm entering my card in the current Cardz4Guyz challenge:
the classic car (Transportation) is Top down and there are Three screw heads on the Textured card stock base (hopefully it fits the challenge to a "T" !)
It is also a perfect card to enter in the Boys/Men challenge at Fairy Tale Challenge Blog and the Inky Chicks Challenge #54 to use a metal embellishment, both of which I came across while looking at other card entries for another challenge !

EDITED 8/16/2015
My card was one of the Manly Monday featured cards at Cr8iveCindy !

Thanks for looking =)




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





FAUX SCREW HEAD BRADS TUTORIAL:

I don't have any screw head brads in my stash
and with no craft stores in our area,
 I made my own !
It did take a bit of time and patience,
but in the end I was quite pleased with them.




Adhere a circle punched from lightweight chipboard to the end of a skewer/dowel. 

Tap on an embossing ink pad.
Make sure it is coated well with ink.

Dip into silver embossing powder and heat.
While it is still melty, dip into the powder again.
If it has cooled, coat it with embossing ink OR reheat.
I did this three times, but you may want more or less coats.

As soon as the final coat is melted, 
push a screwdriver into it then carefully remove.
You want to hold it steady and push in, pull out
straight up. It can be a bit tricky.
TIP: if you don't get a good impression,
you can reheat it and it will melt so you can
try it again. 



Peel off the end of the skewer once it is cool
and apply to your project.
TIP: if the bottom of the faux brad is too gunked up with stuff
and uneven, depending on the chipboard you used, you could
carefully peel off the bottom layer of chipboard.
Coated chipboard such as from food packaging
(cereal, crackers, etc) works great for this !
Use the uncoated/nonprinted side for the embossing
and attach the printed side to the end of the skewer.
Generally printed sides peel away easily.



Thanks for looking =)

25 comments:

  1. This is BRILLIANT, Heather!!! I adore the fabulous screw heads you created--and the textured panel is PERFECT! I'm so excited to see a masculine card in the line up this month! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning card Heather and great tutorial. So many fabulous "metallic" details on your card. Donna T. HOC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great male card, name the one man who will not have this. Great, and great tip om makeing fake screw heads. Thanks
    (✿*‿*) Ma
    Teamie HOC
    http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! Wow lady you rocked this one! Love the screw head idea! I really wish I had that car stamp set - So cool and since hubby races NHRA I could make a lot of great cards for him with it. I do have a Chevelle stamp from Deep Red I use a lot for him and my brother. Might have to CASE this for hubby's Birthday card.
    Have a great day!
    Donna HOC Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card and a super fun idea to try out with the faux screw brad. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Gracie / HOC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, I love the colour combo, the metallic look with the aid of embossing. Your brads and the detailed instructions are amazing. A super clean and elegant card. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and great tutorial - I wish I'd seen this last week as I've just bought a pack of screw-headed brads! Thanks for playing along at Cardz 4 Guyz
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous masculine card, and a great tutorial! I love the "chrome" look to your embossed panel. Great take on this months challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that car and the way you've coloured it

    Thanks for playing along at Cardz 4 Guyz this week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card. It is such a perfect male card. May I post a link to your card on my Manly Monday blog post? It's a post where I showcase masculine cards for my readers. Email me link to your card so I can find it at grohcm at gmail dot com. I will send you an email when the post goes live. Thank you.
    Cindy at Cre8ive Cindy Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic masculine card! You're super genius cool in making your own screw heads!

    Toni
    HOC DT teamie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather, this card is amazing! I love how you have loaded it with so many really fun and creative details! Wow!
    Take Care!
    Michele, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG- you are da bomb!! Love those homemade screw heads!!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this card! and i especially love the bottle cap; very creative and a great faux brad tutorial!
    linda
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, fabulous interpretation of the metallic theme. I love how you made the faux screw head brads, too. So clever of you to come up with that. Hugs, Barbara HOC Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is so very pritty and really perfect for big boys. Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge. Bianca XX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card and great tutorial!
    Hugs,
    Em, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Heather this is gorgeous! I love that watercolored convertible and your fabulous faux metal screw heads, awesome tutorial too!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Heather thanks for visiting my blog and leaving love
    I love how you made the faux screw head brads sooo clever I will try it and save it for next time it looks really so manly and so real one looks
    I adore that image really manly
    and the red and that BG with silver is really a great touch
    you have a great interpretation for this month challenge
    I love making manly cards but yours is really manly Luv luv luv this
    hugs, Monika (HOC Teamie)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this card! All that metallic was perfect! And I love how you made the screws! jane hoc teamie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous card! That embossing folder is perfect and I so love your tutorial of the faux screws - so much cheaper that buying brads - pure genius! Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs, Cornelia (HOC teamie)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great card.... very manly... and handsome!
    Lisa
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great masculine card! Thanks for the tutorial! It is awesome!
    Lilian HOC teamie
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your card! The metallic accents are great. And I love how you made the screws-that I thought were brads. Very cool! :) Big Hugs! Katy HOC Teammate :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a fabulous masculin card!! - What a genius idea to make your own screw heads!! - Thanks for the tutorial!
    Have a nice day!
    Hugs, Rosi HOC DT

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)