Thursday, October 1, 2015

House Of Cards - Color / Texture




Here we are, the first of another month (this year is flying by !) 
which means it is time for a new challenge at House of Cards
 colors and/or textures from the inspiration photo below. 





My card uses similar colors - and texture !

YES, that is a real crackled paint background that I painted then scored, 
making debossed lines on to resemble old weathered wood boards. 





Trying to capture the crackled paint with "fly specks".

How To:
Coat heavy card stock really well with crackle medium
(I bought mine years ago in the craft paint section).
Allow to dry thoroughly before applying paint.
Depending on how thick or thin you put the paint on,
the cracks will be larger or finer. 
Do not go back over the paint once it is on,
that will alter the cracking process.
I used a cream paint over a dark green card stock.
"Fly specks" were created with a speckled background
stamp from the old Itty Bitty Backgrounds stamp set, Stampin' Up!
I  normally use an old toothbrush to splatter on paint for speckling. 
NOTE: Color may "bleed" through from the card stock,
altering the color of your cracked paint layer. 



I stamped leaves from the old Lovely Leaves stamp set
by Stampin' Up! with multiple colors onto Vanilla card stock:
So Saffron and Pear Pizzazz
More Mustard and Pumpkin Pie
I also added a few specks of Espresso to them.
I then hand cut them out and bent them slightly
(I should have stamped the backs, too !).

They are adhered with hot glue over loops of thin twine.


I added a strip of Pear Pizzazz card stock that I
distressed the edges of and added piercing to.

A small little Happy Birthday stamp from Stampin' Up!
was stamped with Handsome Hunter ink. 

The burlap "ribbon" is actually a strip cut from some
old fabric in my stash and adhered with double stick tape.

Thanks for looking at my fall colors/textured card =)

Be sure to see the rest of the amazing cards my fellow team mates 
at House of Cards have made and play along with us.
Please read the House Rules first ;)
You have until October 31st to enter ! 

  Heather  




13 comments:

  1. Hi Heather. I love what you have done here. Never thought of using craclepaint on paper like this.. Really cool.
    Fun to see what you other girls have made.
    (✿*‿*) Ma
    Teamie HOC
    http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You _made_ that background?! Love it! and Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to give this a whack!

    Toni
    HOC DT Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this, Heather! The crackle is absolutely GORGEOUS--and the crumpled paper leaf looks REAL! Stunning work, friend! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, Heather, this is an awesome card!! What a fabulous crackled background you made!! I'm speechless, it looks so real - as well as the leaf! .....and these gorgeous autumnal colors - just marvelous!!
    Hugs, Rosi (HOC teamie)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Heather! Love the crackle paint and your leaf is so pretty!
    Judy HOC Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather- I automatically put my hand out to try to touch your card. The texture just seem so real on the 'puter! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card, love your background and the dimension of your beautiful leaf! Donna HOC Teammate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing card, Heather! The details in this project are amazing! I love the leaves and that terrific weather beaten wood fence! Just gorgeous!
    Take care!
    Michele, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! That cracked paintwork is amazing, it really looks like and old fence panel. Great card. Rocky, HOC teamie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-mazing! I love the effect you've achieved here, Jo x HOC/DT Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is absolutely stunning! I love it, Heather.
    Hugs,
    Em, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Heather, that is one crazy cool background. I love the effect and it really does look like old weathered wood. And the leaf is so realistic looking, too! Hugs, Barbara HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. your crackled paint background is soooo awesome your rock with this texture card Heather
    and the leaves so sweet on this color
    great add of twine too
    adorable card Heather for DT post
    hugs, Monika (HOC Teamie)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)