Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Auto Parts Shaped Christmas Cards





I am pretty happy with the way these automobile parts greeting cards turned out ! I made them for my children. They each need parts for their cars, so I wanted to give them a fun card that held money in it to go towards their parts / repairs. My daughter really needs new tires before winter weather hits, so her card is a wheel and tire. My son needs new rods in the engine in his car, so that is what his card is supposed to resemble. I'm hopeful he will figure out what his card is right away since he is somewhat of a "gearhead" like his dad. 

Both cards are sized to fit in an A2 / invitation size envelope.















I've made tires many times before for various cards and scrapbook projects, all sizes. They are easy to do with a scallop edged circle and scissors: simply trim the tops of the scallops off with the scissors! The wheel is a die cut circle of silver metallic card stock that I drew on with a Sharpie marker. I also added tiny circular paper punches for the lug nuts. I have hand cut wheels in the past on other projects. 

A clear alphabet stamp set on an acrylic block laid over the circle helped to create the curved sentiment. I stamped it in Versamark ink then heat embossed white to resemble raised white lettering on some brands of tires. 













The rod card was made by sketching out the shape of a rod from an engine, cutting it out with scissors then die cutting out circles. I colored a stamp with water based markers, stamped on white card stock then die cut out a larger circle to cover the center of the hole on the back side. Silver metallic card stock was hand drawn onto then cut out with scissors (after die cutting the center circle first) to layer onto, around the circle cut into the black card stock "rod". 




Both cards have paper punch leafy ferns (Martha Stewart), 1/4" circle paper punch and red glittered "berries", stamped, heat embossed and hand cut leaves layered onto them. 

Yes, I could have made much simpler cards, but I enjoyed creating these. It reminds me of the saying "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell


I'm entering my auto parts shaped cards into the following challenges:


The Male Room - Christmas Greetings


EDITED: My card was an honorable mention at The Male Room :)


Love To Scrap - Anything Goes


Holly Jolly Christmas Anything Goes




Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays ! 


5 comments:

  1. Clever you! Love these personalised shape cards, absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing at The Male Room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. Love your idea - you are so creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Both cards are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Love to Scrap! Challenge Blog
    Tina dt

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful creation with great details. Love the colours and embellishments. All the elements work so well together. Thank you for sharing your wonderful project with us at Holly Jolly Christmas challenge Neva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely brilliant idea! Love the shaped cards and the festive decoration. Thanks so much for playing along with our Christmas challenge at The Male Room. Hope to see you again next year.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)