Thursday, December 10, 2015

Stable Shaped Christmas Card














ignore the smudges on the back :)


A stable shaped Christmas card ! 

It did take some "engineering",
 sketching of ideas, measuring,
paper manipulation -
I had no pattern. 

The rubber stamp images are from an old set by Stampin' Up!,
 A Gift From Heaven I think was the set name.
This is the first time I've used this stamp set. 

The barn wood background stamp was also from SU!

Kraft card stock for the wood, water color paper for the image.
Stamped with Stazon ink and water colored with inks from my ink pads.

A folk art paper punch and gold metallic card stock
for the star, attached with acetate and double stick tape.

Narrow twine to loop through a couple of holes I pierced
on each door to make the rope "handles". 
(mini brads would have been easier!)

I used an Xacto knife and straight edge to cut the door openings in the front
then glued the stamped image behind them. 

I stamped then hand cut the banner,
attaching it on the ends only just above the doors.

I started with a regular sized top fold card. 
I stamped the barn wood, figured out my dimensions,
cut out the doors. I wasn't happy with the proportions
and the "boxiness" of it, there was no angled roof
(I wanted it to fit in a regular A2 envelope).
I also had an idea to attach the star floating above the stable
on a piece of acetate, attached to the back of the card with a mini brad
so it could swivel down, fitting into the envelope.
The more I looked at it, the more I didn't like it without the angled roof
and how far up the bottom of the cut out doors were from the bottom edge of the card.
I trimmed about a half inch off of the bottom. The trimmed off pieces
were used to create the roof line. The completed card was mailed in a larger
envelope because it was bigger than an A2  (4 1/4" x 5 1/2").
The star is still attached with acetate, but no need to swivel it because I measured
each piece so that it will fit, totally assembled, in the large envelope I had on hand.





I'm entering this card in the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown
It will fit their Shaped Card Challenge (August 2015, #41)
as well as the Silent Night Challenge (March 2015, #37).

I'm also entering it in the final Case-ing Christmas Challenge,
The challenge blog will sadly close down after this challenge.
Best Wishes to the Design Team !



Thanks for looking =) 



EDITED: 



8 comments:

  1. WOW, Heather! This is gorgeous! I love the way you shaped the card as a stable, and your coloring on the image is totally beautiful! Thank you for joining us at CASEing Christmas! Hugs! Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "engineering" Heather! Really cool card. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shaped card! Thanks for joining us at CASE-ing Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card what a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a creative idea - love those sweet animals - thanks for joining us at the 52CCT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever card, Heather! LOVE the stable idea --- genius! Thank you so much for joining our last CASE-ing Christmas challenge. We truly appreciate your support and hope to see you again soon. Happy Christmas!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a clever card and combined two previous challenges - brilliant work. Looks fabulous. Thanks so much for playing along with our last challenge of the year at 52CCT. Have a very Happy Christmas, and see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, this is gorgeous! A very original shape, and your coloring is flawless! Very creative!!
    Thank you so much for joining us at CASE-ing Christmas.
    Hugs, Rosi

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)