Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Patriotic Planter Chair




Here is the second of four chairs I reclaimed from a flood
with plans of repurposing them into outdoor decorations / planters.
I listed them for sale, including the beautiful blooming geraniums,
for $25 each. Neither one sold, so I did not finish the other two chairs.
I think I am going to make one for myself though to replace

This chair uses masking for the lettering.
I used a removable, transparent contact type paper.
I wish I had remembered when doing this that it didn't 
work so well on the painted mailbox project I completed 
last year. Then again, had I remembered, I would have 
thought it didn't work too well due to the grooves on the box.
Anyway, although it was a great idea, the stuff wasn't quite sticky
enough to keep the paint from seeping underneath, making
more work for myself. Also, for some reason the outdoor type
paint I used stuck to the edges of the mask, trying to lift
off as I was removing it. It required hand cutting around each letter 
with an Xacto blade, ever so carefully to only cut the paint layer
and to follow the edges of the mask. Yep, much more work
than I had hoped for. However once it cleaned up,
I'm pretty happy with the effect I made with it ! 


 I carefully scraped away the dry paint with a toothpick.




Below is the mask after I removed it
(I didn't think to take step by step photos).
As you can see it is made up of many pieces.
I had to make it like this since I was using multiple
single Sizzix alphabet dies. I trimmed each piece and
lined them up as best I could to create one single masked word. 

I painted through the letters with a small paint brush,
 using indoor/outdoor craft paint. It required 
multiple layers to cover the dark finish of the chair. 





Thanks for looking =) 




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful chair, very creative and festive. Thank you for joining us at 2 Creative Chicks.

    Sue - 2 Creative Chicks DT
    http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'd buy that chair for $25! Its well worth it! LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! In a heart beat! Very cute, full of color - you did good Heather! Thank you so much for sharing your project and creativity at 613 Ave C!
    ~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C: [ATG/ Twist: Create a Tag]
    Owner: RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a clever way of reclaiming a chair! can't believe they didn't sell and for that price too. thank you for sharing it with us at TTCRD and goodluck, Theresa DT xx

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)