Friday, July 1, 2016

July Challenge at House Of Cards


Wow, this year is just flying by, isn't it ? 
Half over already !

July 1st and it's time for a new challenge at
This month is an inspiration photo
using the colors and/or use a fruit image. 



My card posted above uses similar colors.
I used white water color paper, Barely Banana grosgrain ribbon,
Daffodil Delight and Baja Breeze color card stocks. The
Sun Ripened image was stamped with black Stazon ink then
water colored in with Daffodil Delight, Pear Pizazz,
Wild Wasabi and Baja Breeze inks.

The home made background paper isn't an exact match
since I used crayons and I don't have any colors
like those in the palette. Perhaps there are crayons 
nowadays that are similar, but I was using crayons
that are 20 year old leftovers from my kids' coloring days!
Keep reading to see how I made the background as well as see
a sample made with the same technique, 
but on glossy card stock for a different look. 








Closeup of the bottom portion of the card. 
I stamped script over the home made background paper
with black Stazon ink.








Closeup to show the dimension I made on the leaves 
by cutting around portions of them with an Xacto knife
then carefully lifting and bending them.
I also pushed out the pear from the backside of the 
card stock using a stylus. That did not photograph well.







Melted Crayon Background How To:



Supplies:
protected work surface
card stock
smooth bottom iron (I used aluminum foil on mine)
assorted colors of crayons
crafty cat helper, optional, but not recommended when iron is in use ;)







My (Grandmas's) old iron gets plenty warm on the lowest setting
 to easily melt the crayons onto the aluminum foil cover.
Be sure to remove the paper wrappers of the crayons
before you start !

Smear the melted crayons the card stock. 
Depending on the type of card stock you use,
you will see different results. 
Plain matte card stock absorbs the melted crayon
while the wax remains on the top of glossy card stock. 
Sample of each below:
Glossy is on the left and matte is on the right.
Both used the same colors of crayons.

Play around with different types of card stock and colors
of crayons, using more or less melted crayon,
smooshing around more or less, experiment away !





This is a finished card made with the glossy card stock
that I melted crayon onto. The greens really popped
on the glossy card stock ! I used the exact same crayons
as I did on the pear card made with matte card stock. 







Be sure to visit the rest of the House of Cards design team
bloggers to see their wonderful creations ! 

Cohenna | Donna | Em | Heather | Jane | Judy 
Karen | Katarina | Katy | Leslie | Linda | Merethe
Michele | Mynn | Paula | Rocky | Rosi | Ruza
Shawna | Shirley | Steph | Sue N. | Susan | Tina | Toni




I'm entering my card in the following challenges:

Through The Craft Room Door - Anything Goes

Crafting By Designs - Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, so glad you described your background, I had the picture enlarged as big as it would go trying to figure it out before I read your post, it is fabulous! Teammate Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card and perfect coloring on the pear. Thanks for the great tutorial - and love your "cat" prop for the photo Shirley H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this is terrific! I love that melted crayon background and the photo of your kitty helper - I have one too! I'm going to have to try that. I like that texture and the great blended color!
    Take care!
    Michele, HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my goodness, I LOVE this, Heather! What a fabulous technique--your backgrounds turned out beautifully! And the coloring you did on the pear is AMAZING! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! I love both of these cards. And I love the tutorial on the melting crayons-and using aluminum foil. That's awesome! I am going to try that. I have some old crayons too. :) I am amazed at the glossy vs matte paper, too. Beautiful coloring on the pair! :) Big Hugs! Katy HOC Teammate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow !!
    A Lovely and beutiful make !! Love The colours !!
    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Hugs Cicci :0)
    TTCRD DT
    Cicci Vid Pennan {Welcome to visit my blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Brilliant projects. Love how you created the dimension to the leaves.
    Thanks for joining us at Craft your passion challenges.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning! Love the background technique, thanks for showing us. Both cards are beautifully made.
    Tina HOC teamie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Es una tarjeta Adorable y romántica! Preciosa pieza de arte! Felicidades y gracias por compartirnos!!! Enjoy. Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH - I MUST DO THIS!! What a fabulous technique! Love how you created the dimension to the leaves and yes, the green on your second card really catch the eye - stunning cards!!
    Thanks for this great tutorial and the trick with the aluminium foil!
    Hugs, Rosi HOC DT

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)