Monday, August 1, 2016

Patriotic Painted Chair









We are live ! 
a new monthly challenge
that is always anything goes.
We invite all sorts of hand made,
family friendly craft projects. 
They do not need to be paper crafts.
No digital projects, please.









The project I'm sharing is an old wooden chair
that I repainted and turned into a flower planter!

I used indoor/outdoor acrylic craft paints 
and a foam brush to paint it.
Be sure to clean, sand and prime
the old wood before painting to
help the paint adhere. 
Although it is not necessary to seal
indoor/outdoor paint, I gave my chair 
a light coat of clear spray sealant.



I made my own star shaped sponge stamp
from a compressed craft sponge. 
I simply punched a piece of scrap card stock
with a star shaped punch, traced it onto the sponge
then cut out with scissors. 

Be sure to get your sponge piece damp 
before stamping with paints !
Carefully start stamping one edge of your sponge stamp then gently 
roll it around the surface, being careful not to slide it. Lift straight up
to remove. Stamping with paints is a bit slippery, be prepared to wipe
up mistakes right away with a damp rag. 

Keep a damp rag nearby when stamping with paints.
If you make a mistake, it can easily be wiped off right away.
Don't allow it to set for any length of time because it will
start drying and leave bits left behind when you wipe it off. 
You don't want to use too much pressure
to remove the mistake because it could cause damage to your base coat. 


I really wanted to add hand lettering to the rungs
along the back, but just could not get it to look right.
I tried several times on the top red one, in fact I needed
to touch up the paint I wiped off my goof ups so many times :(
Maybe I'll try it again in a few days after I've walked away from it.
You may be able to relate, sometimes it helps to come back
to a project after the frustration has worn off. 


The seats of these salvaged old chairs were just strips of burlap.
I removed the two center strips to create an opening
to place flower pots in. I'm still trying to decide if I should
paint the exposed wood pieces between the burlap red........

Take a look at two others made with the same
type of chairs. They are not painted entirely as this one is.

both were painted top to bottom - and still in use !
One is mine, the other I gave to my parents.
Both are kept on covered porches out of the elements. 

Oh, and that old patriotic painted milk can in the photos?
I painted that years ago, too. It's due for a touch up!

Be sure to visit the rest of the Love To Craft design team members' blogs
for lots of great inspiring and varied craft projects !

I'm entering my project in the following challenge:
Through The Craft Room Door - Anything Goes week of July 26th
Through The Craft Room Door Members Only - Home Decor



EDITED TO ADD 10/5/2016:
My chair was a featured project at the Through The Craft Room Door site for October.




4 comments:

  1. Great idea and a fabulous result-love the green chair too
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Patriotic Painted Chair, Heather.
    Hugs,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this chair, Heather! You are so talented and such a wonderful asset to our new LTCCB DT! Keep those awesome projects coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)