Saturday, April 29, 2017

Cute As A Button frame



As soon as I saw the current challenge at
I knew what I was going to make.

It may not quite fit what the design team expected,
but it is something I've been wanting to make
to have on hand for the next wee one that comes
into my large extended family.

(NOTE: the photo is an advertisement for a doll)












I started by stamping a button borders image
(I'm guessing it is from around 1997, by Stampin' Up!)
 onto four pieces of card stock that were cut to 1" x 5". 











I lined them up to create a frame,
adding double stick tape to the corners.
I cut them on a diagonal to create miters. 
Tip: take your time in placing the tape,
considering what portions will become scrap
once cut. You don't want the tape to be on the good
portion of the frame you want to use. 
















After cutting the miters, I applied double stick tape
and adhered it to a chipboard piece I cut to fit.
I then cut strips of  thin advertising magnets
(great use for those junk mail magnets)
and glued them on the back so it would stick to metal.













My button is one I made from "paper clay"
and a mold that Stampin' Up! sold several years ago.
There is no date on the packaging, 
but I'm guessing it is at least 5 years old, maybe more.
Not that I don't have oodles of buttons in my stash as it is,
but I needed to get some more use out of this barely used kit.













Once the clay was dry, I painted it with glossy black
craft paint then carefully filled in the dashes around 
the edge with white paint using a toothpick.










The button was finished with scraps of ribbon tied into a knot.

The flags were cut by hand.
"Cute" is a portion of the "how cute is that" stamp that I inked
 from the old set Phase Starters by Stampin' Up!, dated 2003.

"as a button" was made by assembling Small Casual Snap Stamps 
into the phrase. They are dated 2005.

Supplies: Ivory Naturals (bought in 2000) card stock and black ink.

I am also entering my frame into the Anything Goes challenges at
and PDE Linky Party(optional wall banners) .



Thanks for looking =) 

EDITED TO ADD 5/7/2017:
My project  was a top pick at Retro Rubber Challenge !

10 comments:

  1. What a way to give a frame new life. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Thanks for sharing at Pause Dream Enjoy Linky Party.
    ~Owner/DT Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Very clever and so many ways of using buttons! I love your cute as a button frame. The tutorial is so clear and easy to follow as well. Thanks so much for joining us at Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore your labor of love from beginning to end! Lots of sweet details to make this something that will be cherished for many years to come. Thank you for playing in our button challenge and hope you will join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!! This little baby is indeed cute as a button!!! Love how you created the frame, thank you for the picture tutorial, I was wondering how you created the perfect corners.
    The baby's picture is just so sweet, are you the mommy or the grammy? Love that adorable little face.
    Thank you for sharing your card with us at RETRO RUBBER, hope you come and play again next time.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever and totally acceptable for the Retro Rubber challenge - doesn't have to be a card for you to play along. I love that you stamped the frame elements - using at ancient stamp you still have - how awesome. great way to use the button to bring all the little details together. Thanks for playing along with us this time at Retro Rubber. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely frame. Thank you very much for coming to play at TTCRD. Hugs Agnieszka DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need that mold! So creative how you colored the button and such a sweet project! Thank you for joining the RRCB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Cute frame and the baby is cute as a button! Your frame with the button is adorable. Thanks for the tutorial and thank you for joining Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for our theme at Retro Rubber. Beautiful job and the future recipient will love it as well! Thank you for playing along with Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)