Thursday, July 20, 2017

Simple Scherenschnitte Unicorn Card





As I was cleaning and packing things to take up to my new craft room, 

I came across a simple Scherenschnitte kit I bought years and years ago.

When I was first married and started to get interested in crafting techniques,

I came across a small crafting magazine and subscribed to it. I don't recall the name,
but it was small in dimension, featuring traditional type crafts such as  paper quilling, 
tatting, knitting and the like.

This magazine also had lots and lots of ads to buy things (probably more 

advertisements than projects actually!). I fell for a few of them.
One of which was this very simple paper cutting, or Scherenschnitte, kit.
It sat in a box all of this time because I really didn't know what to do
with the paper cut silhouette images way back when and had since 
forgotten about having the kit until packing up stuff.

After getting everything set up in the new craft room, the first crafty thing

I did was cut out those silhouettes. Seriously. Just because. 

Fast forward a couple of weeks to my seeing the newest challenge at 

Retro Rubber, somewhere over the rainbow, and I knew what I wanted to make with the unicorn image. Problem was, there wasn't going to be any stamping on my card because I have no rainbow images. I originally thought about cutting paper strips to make a rainbow or even a starburst design. (which would have been a neat look I think, but I've not made one of those yet and wasn't feeling up to the challenge/time commitment today). In the end decided to keep it simple. I used this watercolor-y rainbow looking paper from DCWV and added a rubber stamped greeting from Itty Bitty Banners, Stampin' Up! (approximately 5 years old). 

The unicorn was run through a Xyron sticker maker. Remember those ?
Yes, I had to have one and I barely use it ;) It was still sticky !

It is attached to a tag that I hand cut with a paper trimmer.

A piece of rainbow colored organdy ribbon is hot glued to the top of the tag.

I hand colored portions of the rubber stamp with water based markers,
stamped it, cut it out then added additional colors with pencils. Teeny paper
punch circles of orange card stock are glued to the ends, brad like. 










Back side of the pattern, after trimming it out
and applying the Xyron sticker glue


Paper from the kit
showing the other images









Lastly, I decided to put a new nail hole in my recently
refinished/repainted walls of the new craft room. Eek !
My daughter bought this poster for me quite
some time ago. Now that I had a wall large enough
to hang it, I did . It is a 24"x 36"poster !
It filled in that corner of the room nicely. 



Thanks for looking =) 


I'm entering my card in the 
Retro Rubber.   RRCB67

6 comments:

  1. Oh, you had a great find in your own craft room! It is always fun to clean and reorganize so you find those gems that were forgotten. Your card is wonderful! I really love how you used the challenge. Thanks for playing along with our challenge and your understanding with the gremlins in our blog! I look forward to seeing you back in our gallery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors! It's so pretty... and of course you know I love horses and unicorns too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't is great when you rediscover something in your craft room like this? I think the rainbow background is great for a silhouette. Love that rainbow ribbon too. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our challenge was perfect for using your vintage craft find!! Love the unicorn being surrounded by rainbow colors! Thanks so much for sharing with Retro Rubber this challenge. Always enjoy seeing you in our gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two awesome cards in the gallery, I love it when you rediscover parts of your stash..I know I have hidden treasures in mine (if only I could find them..) The background makes your unicorn pop. Thanks for playing again at Retro Rubber. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love your card! I love the bold rainbow colors and how you added the silhouette horse. Thanks for joining Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)