Sunday, October 1, 2017

Fairy Lantern




Welcome ! 

Today as my design team project for 
I'm sharing a project I've been wanting to make 
for quite some time: a fairy lantern !

Read on for more information
about how I made this particular lantern.









SUPPLIES:
Wide mouth empty jar (mine was from a jar candle)
Fairy silhouette laser cuts by Creative Embellishments on Amazon
Mod Podge 
Used dryer sheets (white tissue paper works)
Card stock, chipboard, paper doily, florals, ribbon, hot glue
Scissors
Wide paint brush
Glitter
Floral moss
Battery operated tea light candles, 2




The jar I used was a wide mouth jar that once held a candle.
I liked the really wide mouth on it and it was 
smooth all around the outside. 
A little bit of scrubbing and a final wipe down
with white vinegar to make sure it was good and clean,
and it was ready to "paint"on the Mod Podge.

While the glue was wet, I wrapped the jar with
used dryer sheets. I thought they might make a neat texture
and hoped they'd be transparent enough. 
Plus, I like to repurpose items that might
otherwise be trash ;)

I brushed a little more Mod Podge on top
and sprinkled on some chunky glitter. 


I have a feeling this may be a "dust collector", though ;) 









There was no lid to this jar,
but I had an idea I wanted to try
anyway, no matter what jar I used.
I wanted to make an easy to lift off top
rather than a screw off lid. 
It did take a bit of paper "engineering"
and work, but I do like the way it turned out.


Because I needed the top itself to be a bit wider
than the rim so once the side was attached it
would fit around the wider grooves from the 
old screw on lid, I traced the outside edge of
 a thin metal die that was the right size.
I then  cut it out with a pair of scissors.

The side was cut a bit wider than the width
of the ribbon so I could make tabs to glue
under the lid.





I used double stick tape to adhere the ribbon to the side.
The bow was hot glued in place.





I added a piece of chipboard inside the lid to make it 
more sturdy since I was gluing on several items.







I made a strip of card stock as a divider between the
moss and battery operated tea lights. 
DO NOT USE REAL TEA LIGHT CANDLES !!!!








Closeup of the goodies on top,
various supplies from my collected stash
and a doily. I also cut out and glued on a piece
of green card stock to the top of the white lid.
It looked too plain just white, especially once
I decided to add the doily. The green makes it pop. 





I mailed this off to a long time "pen pal"
as a birthday surprise.
My daughter saw it before it went out
and asked me to make her one, too.
I happen to have 7 leftover fairy die cuts to put to use.....


Thanks for looking =)

Be sure to visit the rest of the design team members' blogs 
for more inspiring ideas!

I'm entering my fairy lantern in the current challenge at Through The Craft Room Door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)