Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Honor Flight - Cards For Veterans



I received an email from an old high school acquaintance two weeks ago letting fellow classmates know that his father was going on an Honor Flight. He asked that we send a note of thanks to his father and if we wanted to, any other veteran on the flight.

I was already contemplating what my next big project would be when I received this email, so I wrote back telling him I would for sure send a card to his father and asking if he knew how many Veterans may be on the flight. He replied 95 ! WOW! I had no idea that many went at one time ! I thought if it was a couple dozen or so I'd make a card for each, that way every Veteran on the flight would receive at least one card.

After thinking about it a little bit and looking through my supplies, I decided what better way to stay out of the extreme heat and humidity we are still having here in the Midwest: I'll make 95 Thank You cards, one for each Veteran on this particular Honor Flight. Honor Flights alone are a special, moving experience for our Veterans, but I think receiving cards and notes would make it more so.

Because of the number had to make in such a short amount of time, they are pretty simple.




I started off by altering two and a half boxes of adorable eyelet edged Thank You cards made by Martha Stewart Crafts. I found them at a discount store for $2 a box a couple of years ago and couldn't pass them up. It was worth if for the heavyweight, white invitation sized envelopes alone !

I trimmed the eyelet edge off as well as the same amount from the back. I will reuse the eyelet edge on another project at some point. I did use a couple of eyelet edged cards last year to make "Love" cards for Operation Write Home. If you click here, you can see one of the cards made with the extra eyelet edges cut off and reused.

After removing the eyelet edge, I then trimmed 1/8" off of each side. The finished card size is 5.25" long by 3" wide.

Because the cards were so much smaller once altered, I made envelopes to fit them by cutting down some old 5.5" x7.5"  sized envelopes I received many years ago.  This way I can use the nice invitation sized envelopes for other cards another time while finally using up some old items I had stashed.

I used lots of card stock scraps, dies and punches, paper crimper, embossing folders, ScorPal, some ink and some stamps to make these cards of thanks for the Veterans. There were 95 in all: 3 copied of 31 designs then 2 copies of a 32nd design. I'll be sharing them over the next several posts.


Thanks for looking =)

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fantastic project! Your cards look wonderful!
    If you ever are approached about a project like this again, please let me know. My preschoolers LOVE to make cards for others!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret =) I'm sure you already know about Operation Write home. Have you heard of the Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes campaign ? I assume they will do that again this year. Check with local politicians (one of ours sends cards to service members at various times of the year), recruiting office, Veteran's hospital and nursing homes or maybe you know someone who has a family member in the service. I think that is fantastic your students like to make cards for others - and that you encourage it. With all of the technology today, handmade and handwritten notes are becoming a thing of the past. It seems the younger generations have no idea what it is like to receive (or send) something in the mail.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they are always appreciated !