Thursday, March 1, 2018

Bathroom Decor Redo

before

after




before


after



March 1st, time for a new anything crafty goes challenge at



The above projects are some items I redid for a recent
"remodel" of our bathroom. I changed colors of the 
towels, drapes, shower curtain and rug so I 
wanted to change the colors on these items, too.
No sense in buying new knick knacks when these
were still perfectly fine ;) 

The wood candle pedestal was bought from a craft
booth many years ago and the 8" square box frame
was a clearance item after Valentine's Day
from Target, bought about a dozen years ago. 

The frame originally had a large red heart
made of flowers in it (click here to see what I did with that).
I bought the frame for the purpose of ripping out the heart and
reusing the frame in the bathroom. I glued a scrap of denim
in it then hot glued dried florals and ribbon on it. 
It worked with the once navy blue/denim bathroom.

To redo it, I simply ripped it all apart then taped in an image
I found (and altered) that was printed onto card stock.
(Original artist Deb Strain)
I printed it out three times then cut out a couple parts of the bath tub,
glued to chipboard then glued on top of the base image
to create some dimension.  I also added glitter to the bubbles ! 



I happen to have a vintage pedestal tub in the bathroom,
so this image was perfect !









As for the candle pedestal redo:

I made a pattern by rubbing my fingers along the edges
of the wood star cutout on light weight paper.
I then cut the star out with scissors
and marked the front side.
I had to flip the pattern over the trace it
so there would be no lines on the front
of the card stock piece when I cut it out. 








Checking the pattern, looks good







TIP: If you are going to corrugate something,
it will "shrink"! I thought about this as I was making it,
wondering how much the size or shape would be altered. 
Yep, too much so I had to redo it the way it should have been 
done in the first place. Duh !





This time I traced onto the already corrugated card stock. 
pattern flipped over, then carefully cut it out.
That did the trick ! 







Lots of double stick tape on the back of the star shape.






Adhered in place over the cut out wood shape.
I then added die cut words from black card stock. 


Yes, I would have rather had real tin,
and no, I don't think the card stock on either project
will last very long in a humid bathroom.
They will look cute for a while,
then when they do fall apart, 
I get to come up with another idea ;) 


Thanks for looking ! 



Visit the rest of the design team members
for more inspiring ideas:

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love how you transformed both of these! I'd love to see a pic of the whole room - or each side. Wish I had a claw foot tub!!! I am JEALOUS

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)