Monday, February 29, 2016

Moving On Up




How will you be spending your Leap Day ?
I'll be working on the craft room 
(or reorganizing the mess in the basement)
some more most likely. 
Same old thing, different day, even if it is an extra day this year !

Things have been pretty quiet here on my blog 
so far this year, this is why:
After the record setting flooding in late December,
my craft dungeon/basement was a mess
(we had to pack it all up for a week then it took me 
a few weeks to get things somewhat back in order).
I was so wiped out both mentally and physically with no desire to make anything.
Every time we go through flooding, the stress is horrible.
This last time was the worst, I can't do it again
(and we aren't getting any younger!). Something had to change.

Since the kids moved out over the past several months 
 their "media room" on the 2nd story was no longer being used.
I decided to take it over for a craft room!
Our clothing is stored in the closet since there is no closet in our room,
though, so I can't take that over for more crafty storage.
Should one or both kids move back home at some point,
they will have to deal with no TV/video game room ;) 

I've been making plans, cleaning out and slowly moving things
in the past 6 weeks. Two flights of stairs each way !
There is a little more to do, mostly reorganizing things,
but I'm finally to the point I can make a project !

There are still lots of other types of craft supplies that must remain
in the basement, there is not enough room for it all upstairs.
At least the things I use most often will be high and dry now.

















EDITED TO ADD MORE PHOTOS:




The  desk is the top to an old "farmhouse" trestle style dining table.
It was what we used at our old house, but no room for it in this house.
 I had it in the basement for the kids to do crafts on in this house.
Until now ;)

In thinking about what I was going to do for a desk in this room,
I had the idea to strip and refinish the solid wood top
then remove the trestle legs. By removing the legs, 
I had plenty of room to use filing cabinets for storage
underneath. They are also the supports for the table top.

The filing cabinets contain lots of paper crafting supplies
such as card stock, envelopes. adhesives, markers, refills,
specialty ink ads,  various tools and miscellaneous supplies, finished cards. 
One of the drawers is large enough to hold 12" x 12" items !

The ink pad storage on top is a DVD/CD tower shelf unit
turned on it's side !
The tool turnaround came from Pampered Chef years ago.
I've never used it in my kitchen ;)








This is my wall of stamps. 
There are numerous plastic drawer units that have been attached
together to create one large unit. They contain my Stampin' Up! sets.
There is also one drawer of clear and cling mount other brand stamps.
The smaller drawers on top store wheels and loose stamps.
The small storage tubs on top hold lots and lots of ribbon,
sorted by type. I admit it, I had a bit of an addiction.
I'm good now, I haven't bought any new (trendy!)
supplies for quite some time. 







Paper punches, tools, heat embossing supplies, coloring mediums
glitters, embellishments and doodads galore ! 
Also several Die Cuts With A View 12x12 paper stacks.

I may hang a few more items elsewhere at some point.







The old wooden dresser my grandmother used for storing patterns
and sewing supplies in. I've used it to keep various things in
over the years, too. From patterns and sewing supplies myself, 
to clothing in my sons nursery then out of season clothing for hubby, 
and now die cutting/paper embossing supplies storage. 

My mom bought that retro cool 5 in 1 stereo that is
sitting atop the dresser for me ( I need my tunes !).








So happy to have found this sturdy filing cabinet
at a resale shop (the long black one under my desk came from there, too).
It has most all of my colored card stock sorted in it. 
Other colors that did not fit are in the wood file cabinets
under my desk. I have no more room, so I quit buying new colors
(the In Colors from Stampin' Up!) several years ago. 
I've enough to last for a looooooooong time as it is.
I keep telling myself that I don't need trendy colors ;) 







I could move my Breyer horse collection elsewhere
and use the built in shelves for more crafty storage, 
but I really like seeing my ponies here =)

I have an empty drawer in this unit I still need to fill, ha ha! 
Actually, I toss projects that I'm working on in there
so Hyla cat doesn't mess with them. I may have a new craft room,
but there are no doors to keep that mischievous cat out. 

The other drawers in the unit mostly have "trash" that I plan to
turn into treasure some day. There are lots of craftable/stampable 
items in there as well as extra office supplies.
One drawer has finished items I've not done anything with, yet. 







Background stamps, alphabet sets
and foam stamps with my paper cutter sitting on top.






Lastly, Hyla cat seems to like the new craft room ;)
She enjoys sitting on the end of the table,
looking out the window









Thanks for taking a tour of the new craft room !

3 comments:

  1. It looks so nice - hope to see some more detail on whats going in all those drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus you have a window and some light! Congrats on the new craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is this?! You have been wanting to do something new for so long and I am so happy that it's finally working for you!!!! Still waiting a while longer before I'll have a space...

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)