Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Beach Memories Shadowbox


I've been waiting for a couple of months to share this project with you !!!
I'm sharing it as part of my design team duties for


This is something I've wanted to make for a long while,
but couldn't find a shadowbox to fit the items I wanted to frame.
In late July, I took a little road trip with my Mom
to a craft supply store in search of shadowboxes and frames.
I was happy to finally find a couple of things I had been needing !













Sand from the beach was poured into a clean, empty frappe bottle.
I tilted it onto the side, gently shaking it to level it out. 
I then placed shells on top of the sand as best I could 
(how DO they build ships in bottles?!?),
using a long thin skewer to help move them about.

To make the sand "solid", I gently added drops of distilled water
through a straw, keeping the bottle on its side and as still as possible.
I wanted to get the top layer of the sand wet so that when it dried,
it would remain "glued" into place. I don't know that all sand would
react this way, but the fine sand from the beach we were on dried " solid".

I left the bottle uncapped, away from heat and sunlight, to dry. 
It took every bit of three weeks.
I wanted to make certain it was totally dry before capping the bottle
and placing it into the shadowbox. 

I painted the bottle cap with a stone effects spray paint
before screwing it onto the bottle.







I die cut numbers from chipboard,
gave them a heavy coat of clear drying liquid glue
then sprinkled sand on top of them.










Die cut tags and twine for a bit of "journaling"
are attached to the items.





The shadowbox I bought did not have a finished back.
In fact, there was a piece of paper from the manufacturer 
glued to it that had to be removed. The unfinished back had
 several holes in it from the hanging hardware that was attached.
It really needed to be covered up, I intended to anyway,
so I used water design paper from an old Die Cuts With A View paper stack.

I also used a sand design piece of paper from the same stack to 
layer behind the photos.




Thanks for looking !




Be sure to visit the rest of the design team members' blogs
 to see many more inspiring craft ideas ! 


This is a monthly, anything crafty goes challenge blog. 
Won't you share with us what you are crafting ? 




I'm entering my shadowbox in the following challenge:

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous shadowbox! Heather. Love all the embellies you have added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great keepsake. such a lovely way of displaying all the meaningful embellies. thank you for sharing it with us at TTCRD and good luck, Theresa DT xx

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)