Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Truckin' Birthday Card











I've been under the weather the past few days, which really stinks because our part of the country has been having gorgeous, fall like weather ! I had planned on painting a room over the weekend, but an extreme case of vertigo on top of a summer cold put me in bed/on the couch. Blech.

I was finally feeling nearly like my old self last evening, so after some prep work on the walls to be painted, I decided to whip up this card for a couple of challenges I enjoy playing along with. It's always good to have a masculine card on hand!

I used Classic Pickups, 2005, and Highways and Byways, 2003, stamp sets from Stampin' Up! These are a couple of my favorite, most used sets, in addition to Classic Convertibles.

The truck was colored with two shades of red and a silver Prismacolor colored pencils. Details on the map were also done with colored pencils.

I sponged Bashful Blue ink for a sky and Barely Banana lightly over the map.

The sentiment was heat embossed white on a scrap of black card stock to resemble raised white letter tires! It is mounted with dimensionals.

The card measures 4.25" x 5.5". I couldn't really trim it any narrower due to the length of the truck image to mount it on a piece of black card stock cut to the 4.25 x 5.5 size. It is bugging me that there is no black backing piece, so I will cut a larger piece and mail it out in a bigger envelope when the time comes. I may run a wide black marker along the "ground" under the truck the length of the card. Yes, that bugs me too, the line between the top and bottom is too thin...... I imagine many of you can relate, especially when we think it needs something else and should have quit when we were ahead, that one more thing we added ruined it in our eyes (which is what I am afraid I may do to this card!). We are our own worst critics, I know ;)


Thanks for looking =)



I'm entering my card in the following challenges:

Retro Rubber Challenge #65 Feeling Sketchy 
my stamp sets are 12 and 14 years old
EDITED TO ADD 7/2/2017: My card was a Top Pick !!!


Use Your Stuff Challenge #269 Road Trip
I recently made a road trip scrap page for a previous challenge here (and the other two challenges  I am entering today) , so I made a card that may fit the theme since it has a map and a truck on it !  I do have many more photos I could - should! - scrap from road trips over the years.....

Love to Scrap #98 - Boyz Rule
create a masculine project


17 comments:

  1. Yes, I think we've all had those moments where we add in one last thing and immediately have regrets! I don't think you should worry too much about this one though because I think it's a beauty. The vibrant red of the truck divides the card. The map/sky divide is a clever use of the sketch. I know what you mean about feeling the lack of a black frame but in this case, I think it would make the truck seem trapped. This way it's open to space, ready to set off on the next adventure, not hemmed in. Thanks so much for joining us at Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your nice comment, Jan ! I especially like your thoughts about the black frame, I hadn't thought of it that way :)

      Delete
  2. I find it great the way it is, i see what u mean we want to add a little bit more and yes we're our own worst critics...but honestly it's looking fantastic.what u can do is 'forget' it a few days and then come back to it with a fresh look. Then u'll know better.but once again i love it and im glad u entered love to scrap's challenge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shuly ! Since I'm not sending it out any time soon, I'll have plenty of time to think about adding more to it - or leave it as is ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling better! That truck and map and sky are amazing! So fun! I love map images and vehicle images too! Great job! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card! You colored the truck perfect. Great take on the sketch. Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic masculine card! It would work very well with any of my "roadster" friends as we would take short journeys several times a year! But enough of that...

    Love the boldness of the truck. I would agree with Jan about it being free to take the journey (but I would not have initially thought about that either). These images are before I was stamping or else I would have these in my stash also. Well done on all of the elements on your card. Thanks so much for sharing with Retro Rubber this challenge. So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love everything about this! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Love To Scrap Challenge Blog's "Boyz Rule" challenge!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, LTSCB DT
    Love To Scrap 2
    Love To Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is great just as it is, very masculine with the contrast between the truck and the map! Sometimes we do have to stop and go with the CAS! Great interpretation of the sketch, thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is GORGEOUS!! The truck is so beautifully coloured. Sorry to hear you have been under the weather, you'd never know it from looking at this beauty. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun card and perfect for this challenge. Thank you for joining my challenge. Thank you for Joining us over at Use Your Stuff :)
    Tina-DT

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)