Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Roman Shade Card

No internet for over a week again..............
here is a card I made while being offline.




I came across a really, really old card sample while rummaging through some things in my craft dungeon recently. When I found it, I knew it was past time (like a dozen years past !) that I try to make one myself, the whole reason I had kept that particular card all this time.

I didn't bother to try to find instructions online somewhere since it looked easy enough to make. I don't really know what this type of card was called anyway, so I'll call it a Roman Shade Card since it operates similar to the window coverings in a room of my house. It wasn't difficult overall; the trickiest part for me was running the second piece of ribbon through the already threaded holes !

Start with a 1/2 sheet of card stock, 11" tall x 4 1/4" wide. Fold in half making a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card. You can put your math skills to use to make a finished card size of 5 1/4" x 4" so when you attach the back layer the completed card would be the regular 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" size to fit an A2 envelope. I did not do that with my project; I chose to make the back piece slightly larger and put it in a bigger envelope.


Stamp front and inside of card.

Supplies used, from Stampin' Up!:
Whisper White card stock
Raspberry Ripple, Pistachio Pudding and Bashful Blue inks
home made cloud stencil
sponge
Pretty Peony, Hugs and Wishes, Sweet Sentiments stamp sets, all retired








Score front of card every 1/2".
Fold along each score line, alternating folds to create "mountains" and "valleys".












Smoosh all of the folds together and punch through on each edge of the card with a Cropodile. You can punch through each layer individually if you do not have a heavy duty hole punch that can go through multiple layers at once.

Flatten it back out then line up the punch with the bottom hole on each end and punch through the back of the card. This will make a hole for you to glue the ends of the ribbons in.










Run the ribbon through, starting at opposite ends. I use a heavy duty double stick tape to adhere the ends of the ribbon to the back side of the card, one on each side. One you get to the other end of the ribbon after threading it through the holes, tie it in a knot or attach beads to the ends. TIP: You may want to wrap a piece of tape around the end of the ribbon that you are threading through the holes, I did and it made it a bit easier. 





If you want to add a little extra embellishment,
be sure to attach it to one folding section ,
not glued across any score lines.
It must be able to fold up when the card folds. 





Thanks for looking =) 


1 comment:

  1. Not only do I love this card but am honored that I was the recipient!!! You make it look easy but it seems really complicated to me! THANK YOU MY SWEET FRIEND~ Margy in KY

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)