Friday, August 6, 2010

Stamped Tiles

Ahhhh, a break in the extreme heat and humidity today. I really would like to seal the grout in the kitchen, but it hasn't been a full 48 hours to set. No sense in rushing it...... but I really want to get the kitchen put back in order ! So instead I am going to repaint the register vent covers (I really don't want to buy new covers just to change the color) and clean all of the woodwork.



Today I am sharing a couple of projects I made with tiles some time ago. Stamping on tiles to create coasters was such a popular project. It seemed anyone with stamps was making them - and they were popular at craft fairs.



This link has basic instructions plus numerous comments full of tips: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/tile_coasters/
 
 

The set of lighthouse tiles were made as coaster gifts with a matching storage box. The box was a plain brown paper mache box that I stamped and painted with acrylic craft paint. I added twine trim along the bottom edge .



The miniature tiles are magnets. I found a bag of small used tiles at a church sale. I stamped them with Stazon ink then painted with acrylic indoor/outdoor craft paint, baked then sealed. I added a little piece of magnet to the back (another use for the advertising magnets you may receive). They were perfect little trinkets to leave in geocache boxes !




 
 
 
You can also decorate tiles to use as trivets and write on/wipe off message boards ! Use broken pieces of tile to create mosaics with, such as covering the top of an old table, the bottom of a serving tray, adhere to the rim of clay flower pots or for making stepping stones.




Thanks for looking !

1 comment:

  1. I love the little tile/magnets - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)