Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stamped Terra Cotta Pots

I've done so many terra cotta pot crafts projects over the years. Pretty cheap and easy project, depending on the craft project. They make great "gift baskets", especially for gardeners. Terra cotta pots are also good bases for many craft projects, such as tiny pots to make small ornaments or large pots stacked together to make standing creatures for outdoor decor. There are many books and magazine articles related to crafting with pots, not to mention oodles of websites. Painting, decoupaging, adding 3D embellishments, so many fun ways to decorate and get crafty with a simple terra cotta flower pot !

Below are just two examples of pots I painted and stamped.
I do have others posted elsewhere (Christmas ornament, Halloween decor) on my blog. 





Stamped pot, painted and stamped paper mache frame and a greeting card.
After I took this photo I realized it looked like something was missing -
leaves !!!! Giggle.... I quickly added a few stamped leaves to the frame and card. I didn't get a photo of it with the leaves added though.

On this particular project, I used chocolate brown acrylic craft paints for the pot and to base coat the frame. I custom mixed a blue to do the rim of the pot. I stamped the outline rose image from Fifth Avenue Floral (by Stampin' Up!) with cream acrylic paint, using it directly on the rubber as my "ink".

The larger polka dots were done with a circle image from I'm not sure exactly which set now, I have a few that have circles. I'll say it was Simply Circles; whichever set I used it was definitely from Stampin' Up!

The tiny polka dots were made with the unused eraser end of a pencil.

I watercolored the rose image on the card and frame with my classic stampin' inks and an aquapainter from Stampin' Up!

The vanilla satin ribbon was stamped with Basic Brown ink and an old saying stamp, both from Stampin' Up!

This particular pot was to be used as a pencil, etc holder on a desktop with the picture frame used on the desk, too.







This is one of my old projects donated to the holiday bazaar at the elementary school: I base coated the pots with indoor/outdoor acrylic craft paints then stamped them with Stazon inks and the Roses In Winter stamp set from Stampin' Up!

I made little seed packets with seeds from my flower garden (all stamped with images and inks from Stampin' Up!), added two gardening tools and gloves then wrapped them up with plastic from those window sealing kits found in home improvement stores. Added a little stamped tag tied on with curling ribbon and it was, I thought, a neat gift option for the kids to buy at the holiday bazaar. They were priced at $5. I never made a dime off of my projects, they were all donated to the school. All funds made went to the school. 

I found a couple of those window seal kits on clearance one year - one of the best clearance purchases ever ! I paid $4 for a single kit. It had a large roll of super sticky double sided tape that I have used for sooooooo many projects. The yards of clear plastic have come in handy for many things as well, such as when I was doing a faux painting technique on one of my walls or making gift packaging. I even used the alcohol wipes included in the kit to clean the sticky gunk off of my scissors when I had been cutting apart stamp sets !




I did a quick search to see if there was a tutorial online rather than my typing up all of the steps. Here is a fantastic website with step by step instructions that you can refer to for painting terra cotta flower pots.
Lots of inspiration, too.

Thanks for looking !

3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Wow! What can I say? These are amazing projects. You really think out of the box. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These projects of yours are so creative and fun! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely group of items done with stamping. I like the way you get a lot of milage out of your stamps. And you've gone and made another project with RIW - stop already!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)