Sunday, October 31, 2010

Repurposed Ice Cream Container Lid - Halloween

Like I needed to make another decoration....................

I was watching Glee the other night and noticed the decorations on the wall in the teachers lounge. When I saw the black bat flying in front of a yellow moon against an orange sky decoration, I thought it would make a neat, simple card. Maybe make masks and brayer the colors onto glossy cardstock. Or perhaps cut each piece out of plain colored card stock. While thinking about making it into a card, I decided why not repurpose the ice cream lid I had saved for another project into a decorative piece.

All items from Stampin' Up!, most are retired:
Only Orange, Yo Yo Yellow and Basic Black card stock
Sun Sparkle glitter from the Pastel Diamonds glitter stack
Home made shimmer spray
Happy Fright Night stamp set
Fun Faces - I had intended on using that set for the face, but have't found it yet: I may have lent it out and forgot about it..... maybe I'll use a Signo white gel pen
Versamark ink
Tangerine Tango and Cajun Craze ink - sponged on edge of orange but looking at it now, I think I should have used Basic Black or Basic Gray. I also should have stamped Happy Fright Night on orange, layerd onto a yellow circle. Hindsight..
Black embossing powder
Heat tool
Circle punch
Square punch
Label punch - Holiday Mini catalog

Ribbon scrap, unknown
Googlie eyes - available at craft stores

I hand drew the bat then cut it out of Basic Black card stock. I sprayed it with home made shimmer spray then while it was damp , I shaped the wings.

I glittered the "moon" cutout by brushing on a coat of clear drying white liquid glue for the glitter to stick to.

All the pieces were glued to a clean top to an ice cream container, the type that has a cardboard center and plastice edges, to make it a bit more sturdy so I can use it as a hanging decor piece. I punched two holes in the top edge with a Cropadile to run the ribbon through to hang it by, after the photo was taken.

Home made shimmer spray:
I used Lumiere paint that Stampin' Up! sold several years ago, but it can be made with new shimmer paints they carry. If I remember correctly, my mixture was rubbing alcohol to a tad of the lumiere. Swirl it around well to mix. I used the alcohol so it would dry quicker than water. You can do an online search and find numerous references to making your own shimmer / glimmer spray.

Thanks for looking =)

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    Spooktacular Halloween decoration and so very creative. I love all your shimmer.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)